Thursday, May 10, 2012

Do Low Carb Diets Impair Brain Function

Today I spent the majority of the day running around Orange County looking at new locations for Stout Burgers and Beers and also locations for another potential project.  I was sitting at Starbucks enjoying my Decaf Americano (second of the day) when I got a text from my friend who is following a version of The Cheat Day Diet.  He asked me how I can function on such low carb consumption and was curious if I "spaced out all the time".  I told him that I had heard of people getting a little discombobulated especially in the beginning of the diet but that I had never really had that effect.
This question made me curious as to the exact effects of low carbs on the brain specifically can a low carb diet restrict glucose from your brain essentially starving your brain.  I found myself searching the Internet and as usual there was multiple articles with varied opinions on the subject matter.
I found an interesting article in Readers Digest which stated that low carb diets would have a negative impact on not only health as a whole but specifically brain function and that a minimum of 130 grams of carbohydrates were required daily to keep the brain functioning at optimal levels.  While the article agreed that we do indeed eat too many carbohydrates it also stated emphatically that carbohydrate restricted diets may not be healthy for you for a variety of reason.  Readers Digest Article
I continued to research the subject and came across a number of articles that again emphasized the health benefits of a low carb diet.
Both of the articles I included address specifically the effects of the low carb diet on cognitive function and attempt to disprove the notion that low carb diets may be bad for the brain.  Low Carb Diets Health Benefits and Low Carb Diets Not Bad For The Brain I would welcome you to read both of these article and also the Readers Digest Article mentioned above.  I  feel more confident after my research that The Cheat Day Diet is not only extremely effective but also safe for that lump of grey matter housed between your ears.  Let me know your thoughts after you have checked out the aforementioned articles.  Talk to you guys tomorrow, happy dieting.

No comments:

Post a Comment